Unique expertise and extensive experience
KEMTA provides unique expertise and extensive experience within the fields of clinical epidemiology and health technology assessment. These are applied in research performed in collaboration with individual researchers and organisational units within and affiliated with the Maastricht UMC+. Besides that, research for third parties takes place.
The department of KEMTA carries out its own scientific research aimed at advancing methodology in the fields of clinical epidemiology and health technology assessment. This approach leads to a dynamic balance between collaborations and independent scientific research aiming at improving health care. The synergy between clinical epidemiology and health technology assessment expertise within one department is considered as a strength. Additionally, the localisation close to the clinic provides good and accessible contacts with the clinical departments.
The department of KEMTA collaborates on different levels with other clinical departments:
- The department of KEMTA provides ad hoc consultations for specific questions concerning statistical analysis, and about obtaining or analysing costs-data;
- The department of KEMTA is frequently approached by researchers who are in the analysing phase of their study. In this phase, the department of KEMTA supports the researcher with the statistical analysis or the calculation of e.g. the costs and quality of life;
- Long-term “long-distance” supervision is common, where there are structural collaborations between KEMTA and other departments. Within these collaborations the researchers that are appointed to the other departments are supervised by KEMTA employees. This concerns supervision during the execution of research or content wise support with a publication or promotion;
- The most intensive form of collaboration is when the department of KEMTA is involved from designing a project proposal to performing, reporting and publishing the research. It frequently occurs that one of the researchers or the principal investigator is appointed to the department of KEMTA, in case a cost-effectiveness analysis is part of the study;
- The department of KEMTA also initiates independent projects, which, in most cases, involve collaborations with other clinical departments.