Preventive Medicine/ Primary Care/Public Health/Respiratory Medicine
Epidemiology Registration B
PhD-graduation from the University of Nijmegen
1983: Master of Science
1981: Bachelor of Science
From the University of Wageningen
2018: Advisor for Paul Blokhuis, Minister of Public Health, for prevention related care.
2013: Appointed ad Scientific Director of National Reseach School CaRe
2012: Visiting professor University Edinburgh
2009-2013: Appointed as Scientific Director of CAPHRI School for Public Health and Primary Care.
2003-2009: Appointed as Scientific Co-Director of the Research Institute Caphri (Care And Public Health Research Institute).
2000-2003: Appointed as Scientific Director of the Research Institute of Extra and Transmural Health Care (ExTra) of Maastricht University.
2000-2003: Appointed in the Board of Directors of the Netherlands School of Primary Care Research (CaRe), acknowledged by the Royal Netherlands Academy of Sciences. Coordinator of Main programme: Effectiveness of extramural care
2000-2003: Appointed as Scientific Co-director of the Research Institute of Extra and Transmural Health Care (ExTra) of Maastricht University.
1999-2000: Appointed in the Board of the Faculty of Medicine as vice-dean.
1998: Appointed as professor of medicine on the Medical Faculties of the Universities of Maastricht and Nijmegen. Responsible for research management and education to medical students.
1997: Appointed as KNAW Research Fellow.
1990-1997: Senior research coordinator at the Department of General Practice/Family and Social Medicine of the Faculty of Medicine of the University of Nijmegen and since 1996 also at the Department of General Practice of the University of Maastricht.
1986-1990: Researcher at the faculty of Medicine of the University of Nijmegen and responsible for a research project on the diagnosis and treatment of asthma and chronic bronchitis in primary health care. This project resulted in a Ph.D. in medicine. Involved in lectures for medical students, in giving follow-up courses and in training physicians in doing research.
Deelnames, projecten en nevenfuncties
Scientific Director of the National Research School
- Three WHO commissions on the global primary care diagnosis and treatment of asthma, COPD and rhinitis (IPAG)
- European Scientific Group on Primary Care of the European Respiratory Society
- WHO Global Initiative for Asthma Dissemination Committee
- EU Commission scientific advisory board of the 5th and 6th FP, Brussels (1999 – 2004);
- Scientific advisory board of NWO (‘Gebiedsbestuur Medische Wetenschappen’- Divisional Board Medical Sciences) (2002 - 2007);
- Scientific Advisory Board of the Dutch Asthma Foundation (2002 - onwards);
- Scientific Advisory Board of ZonMW (Programme Prevention) (1998-2006);
- Scientific Advisory Board of ZonMW VIDI (2010 - 2012);
- NHG commission for the Dutch Guidelines for the diagnosis and treatment of asthma and COPD in general practice (1996 - onwards);
- Two committees of the Health Council of the Netherlands on the Prevention of Asthma and Asthma and Food Allergy (2006 - 2008);
- Chair of the National Partnership Smoking Cessation (2010 – 2013);
- Chair of ‘Holland Smoke Free-Alliance’. (Umbrella organisation of Dutch Cancer League, Dutch Heart Foundation, Dutch Asthma Foundation and the Partnership Stop Smoking, consisting of 32 partner organisations, among which the Dutch Societies for Medical Oncologists, Paediatrics and General Practitioners) (2011 – 2013).
- Chair European Conference SRNT (2015)